|Home||What's On||About||Get Involved||The Science||Join CAN||The Solution||Articles||Links||Contact|
The Real Solution
Our civilisation must:
1. Commit to a legally binding target of zero emissions within 20 years, preferably sooner
2. Implement a global energy efficiency program, saving us money
3. Switch our stationary energy supply to 100% renewable energy within 10 years, preferably sooner
4. Immediately end landclearing and the destruction of the world's rainforests, the lungs of the earth
5. Initiate worldwide re-forestation of logged and degraded areas to draw down carbon from the atmosphere, especially in the tropics in the developing world
6. Implement policies globally to reduce population growth and make the transition to a sustainable global population
7. Invest in, and fast track the uptake of low-emissions transport solutions like efficient public transport, cycleways and hydrogen and electric vehicles
8. Utilise non-greenhouse intensive sources of fertiliser for food production
9. Ban new coal mines and new coal infrastructure as these will be failed investments
10. Mandate the cessation of fossil fuel extraction from the earth within 15 years
11. Invest in local, organic food production to minimise and eventually eliminate emissions from agriculture
12. Commit to a zero-growth global economic model within 10 years
We can (and must) go on changing light bulbs and turning off our appliances but the real solution to climate change is much bigger.
We have a unique opportunity to fundamentally change direction. Those before us didn't quite understand and those after us won't get the opportunity. Together, and only together, can we change our path and avoid catastrophe. For the first time in known history, the human race must act in unison.
CAN's Call to Action:
The solution to climate change is in the hands of the leaders of every nation and every person on earth today. Climate change is a huge wake up call for the human species. This issue is far beyond, in time and space, any single one of us. It is far beyond any one government, any one electoral cycle, any one organisation or any one corporation. After a few short years it is likely that the inertia of the climate system will take the impacts of climate change far beyond the control of the human species, unless we act urgently.
To have any hope of a safe climate, we must stabilise atmospheric greenhouse gases at no more than 350 parts per million in the next 50 years. This is an emergency situation. We are in this together. We must come together and call for strong legally binding commitments from our leaders. We must speak out. We must get out of our regular routine and be willing to demand real action from our leaders.
Are you with us? Join CAN HERE.